2015 - Moving On

I find it hard to believe that I have had my stoma for nearly 3 years. Life is so different now than it was in early 2012. I am a completely different person. I am healthy, fit, strong and able to share a fulfilling life with my family. For that I am eternally grateful.

I have blogged before about the final operation that I need to remove my rectal stump. I have put it off until now as I haven't been ready to face another operation. But now I am  - in my head it is time. It is time for closure on this.

I had my annual EUA in December - while I was talking to the surgeon about the procedure he asked what was next. I said that I wanted the op done. He then said that he was retiring on March 31 but he thought he could fit it in before then!!!! That's slightly earlier than I anticipated but at least it will be done.

Although this is a major operation and I am not underestimating it at all I also know that I am in a very different place from when I had the last op. I am fit and healthy, I am not sick. I know I recover well from anesthetic and I heal well - which means that the recovery time should not be too long! I also know my HR manager at work WILL NOT let me go back until she thinks I am ready... which I suppose is a good thing.

I am now just waiting to hear from the hospital with a date - it should be early February.. so fingers crossed.

I have tried not to focus too hard on this operation. Before Christmas I got myself into a bad way mentally thinking negatively about it and allowing myself to get scared. Its not healthy to do that and I found myself becoming very negative about everything and it started to affect other areas of my life. This negative mentality isn't me -I try to be a positive person so I took some time to reflect and have set myself new goals and things I am hoping to achieve this year.

My biggest challenge is one I have set myself - I am challenging myself to cover 1000km by December 31 2015. This is the distance form my home town to the South of France and include 33 km of the Channel. I am aiming to walk, swim, run, cycle and row the distance and complete several specific challenge events on my way. I will row and swim at least the distance of the Channel and will walk, cycle and run most of the rest of the distance.

I also would like to complete a proper Obstacle Course Run this year. I did the Pretty Muddy Race for Life in September last year and loved it but as I was part of a team we all walked together .. so I am hoping to give one a proper go this year - something like Insane Terrain! There are other events that i would like to do too - my little girl would like to do the Family Olympic Run this year so that is also on my to do list this year. It all adds up the kilometres.

I am raising money for Crohn's and Colitis UK  as I feel it is so important to raise awareness of these conditions and to fund research into them. My JustGiving Page link is https://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Jonesccuk and every organised event I take part in I will be wearing a CCUK top!

If nothing else remembering that I have to keep ticking off the kms will help me recover positively from my operation.. as if nothing else I am sure i will be able to walk!!!!

Comments

Sarah XXX said…
Oh wow that sounds immense! I wish you the best of luck and will donate later in the year when things are settled. Good luck with the op too i hope it goes well!

Popular posts from this blog

World IBD Day 2017

This Girl Can....

Toilets, trees and other things!