A whole new world!

Waking up from my colon removal I entered a whole new world of appliances, delivery companies, "lingerie", prescriptions and support garments.

My first challenge beyond getting out of bed, was to discover the contents of my "black bag" which the hospital stoma nurses guided me through - pouches, wipes,  adhesive removal sprays, scissors. All inhibitions, if I had any left after a week of using a commode were soon banished with a nurse watching me learn to empty my bag, and then change it. 

To be fair... It's not rocket science....spray to release the stick, wet wipes to clean, dry wipes to dry, barrier wipes to protect and bag on. Oh and use the template that the nurse has made to cut the whole to exactly the right size! I was fairly determined to get home, particularly after I was moved onto a ward and I knew they weren't going to let me out until I could do this on my own.

After two and a half nights in my private room being moved onto the ward was a shock. It was good as it meant i was doing well but I was easily the healthiest there! The others were all very elderly and very ill. One night there of no sleep and I called Ian in the morning to tell him I needed to come home! Fortunately the stoma nurse agreed I could cope too!

I have to say although it was amazing to be home with my wonderful family it was a long weekend learning ways of showering, getting up and down stairs and dealing with both my stoma bags and my fistula bag. 

Before I left hospital my dressing had been changed but no one had told me what to do with my mucus fistula! Sounds nice doesn't it. 
Instead of giving me a total colectomy and removing all my colon and my rectum the surgeon very generously gave me the option of having a "reversal" and left my rectum in. Obviously they could've just leave the cut off end floating so they gave me a mini stoma - a second opening for the mucus to come out! Nice! Anyway the fistula was also covered with a bag but no one had told me what to do with it! Helpful when the bag started leaking on Saturday with no nurse till Monday!

It was such a relief to meet the community stoma nurse on the Monday morning! These people are some of the unsung heroes of the NHS! For us they were a lifeline into this new world we had been thrown unsuspectingly into! 

It was the stoma nurses who gave us the little counselling that we had, helped me initially decide on the type of bag to use, provided samples of bags for both the fistula and the stoma. She introduced me  to prescription knickers! (Such a privilege!) and support bands for going to the gym!

To be honest most of this stuff is designed for people much older than me and the knickers are beyond Bridget Jones! But at least I'm not alone... There are some excellent companies who design some lovely, feminine lingerie....albeit still Bridget Jones size! And if there is a plus side I get them free on the NHS! 

My nurse also set up my order with a delivery company... Who will organise the discreet delivery of all my appliances, get the prescription from the doctor. All it takes is one phone call, or email and a months supply arrives on the given date!

My stoma nurse came to see me yesterday. After a good chat about life, camping, future surgery, surgeons and delivery companies she gave Barry an MOT and said she did't want to see me for a year! Can't be bad.... I must be doing ok!

Nd 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World IBD Day 2017

Toilets, trees and other things!

This Girl Can....